Monday, November 22, 2010

Megumi Japanese Restaurant @ Sunset Way

After church one evening the sisters and a friend and I went to Sunset Way for dinner, and we chose Megumi! We have already tried Megumi a few times before when it was still at its previous location a few doors down. Recently it relocated to a vacated shop round the corner, refurbished and rented a larger space.

Sashimi Mixed Platter ($28) -We requested for the tuna to be changed to something else since none of us liked it. The waiter recommended sea bream so we took his suggestion. When it came it was still the same old tuna, so we told another waitress about the request. When she came back, the tako (octopus) was gone but the tuna was still there. So we told her again, that the order was wrong... Finally the right plate of sashimi came. Fortunately the service staff were not impatient or anything, I think some places would just give you an impatient or miffed look. Anyway the sashimi was so-so only. Chikuwa Tei sashimi anytime! (Though I can't remember how much was that already!) The sea bream here came half frozen! It was hard and I could still taste ice in it.



Unagi Tofu $7.80 for 2 pieces - Best stuff! Can't find this anywhere else. Pardon the (relatively) lousy photos in this entry - everyone couldn't wait to tuck in and I was too paiseh to hold up the rest! This is basically agetofu (fried tofu) with huge slab of unagi on top.


I had always wanted to try blowfish sashimi ever since I saw it on a Korean movie (ironic) and on Japan Hour where they had blowfish feasts where all the parts of the blowfish are used for something - sashimi, tempura, steamboat etc. That kind of meal would cost you more than SGD100. This fish is a rare delicacy, with the tiger blowfish species being the most "prestigious edible species and most poisonous", and sushi chefs need license to handle this fish because if not handled well, the poisonous parts would not be taken out and would be fatal to consumers.

So when I saw this dish Fugu Mirin Boshi ($10.80) served as appetizer in Megumi I was excited to try it out! The english description stated "puffer fish" and not blowfish. I thought being an appetizer it would be in sashimi-style, but I was told by the waiter that it would be grilled. I thought, oh wells, not many places serve this dish, so might as well just try it out here! So we ordered this. When it came and I tried it, I was sorely disappointed. As you can tell from the photo it did not look appetizing. When I tasted it it tasted like salted fish - no joke. Chewy, salted fish. It came with mayonnaise, which I was rather baffled about - what kind of grilled items came with mayonnaise? Strange. Anyway, please do not order this if you happen to dine there. In the end I had to reluctantly finish it 'cos my dinner partners didn't like it. We somehow have this policy where if you order something and it's not nice, you bear the responsibility of finishing it :( After this when I thought about it I realized that when I ordered this I forgot that it was blowfish and not puffer fish, if there was a difference at all. Maybe that could explain why the puffer fish was not nice.


Yaki Soba ($8.80) - My church friend M saw this being served at the other table and thought it looked good, so we ordered this! It was fragrant, worth the price I should say.


We ordered this the last time we were here too - Chilled Charcoal Udon (Hiyashi Sumi Udon, $10.80)
Though when it arrived it looked and tasted more like soba instead, coupled with the fact that it comes with the quail egg which you usually see served with soba and not udon. But I'm not complaining - this definitely tastes good. 


We wanted to have a maki but couldn't decide, so we asked for recommendations, and this was what we got - UFO Maki ($12.00) Basically it's cooked salmon and crabmeat inside wrapped in sushi rice and coated with fish roe. Not bad - can't really go wrong with cooked salmon and roe unless you don't like salmon.


By this time we were really full - we came to the conclusion that 3 main dishes, or staples, (2 noodles and 1 rice) were too much for four ladies. Next time we will cut down on one staple, (and the puffer fish of course), and maybe order something else smaller. We also had this - Unagi Chawanmushi $7.80 (yes, we like unagi very much) which came in a very nice bowl. They changed their way of presentation, we noticed. Tasted good as well, smooth and silky, just rolls off your tongue, with generous servings of unagi.


No meal is complete without dessert no matter how full you are. Since we had four people with us we decided we could very well handle one single dessert, so we ordered Deep Fried Kuro Goma (Black Sesame) Ice Cream ($6.80). I like fried ice cream! And their goma ice cream is good so this dessert was really yummy. We polished it up despite on the verge of bursting.

 

We'll always go back to Megumi, somehow. Good place to go for dinner if you're around the area. This restaurant IMO is between middle to middle-high range. We could probably have saved a bit if we hadn't ordered the puffer fish.

How much was spent: Around $35 per pax
Would I go back? : Yup!

Address: Blk 106 Clementi St 12 Sunset Way #01-38 Singapore
Tel: +65 6779 1411
Opening Hours: 11.30-2.30pm, 6pm-10.30pm

No comments: