Wednesday, February 02, 2011

5 Star Corner Western Food @ Hougang Central

A few days ago, Future MP (FMP), Floorball Player (FBP) obligingly followed Kiasi Phtographer* (me) on her recommendation for cheap and good western food to a nondescript neighbourhood coffee shop near Hougang Mrt.

Many coffee shops have the token Western food stall serving run-of-the-mill stuff, and are there as symbolic alternative food choices just in a case a wandering ang moh comes by, or to cater to kids who disdain the typical hawker fare. These kopitiams usually have the Bak Kut Teh or Bak Chor Mee or Nasi Lemak as the main draw, with posters of some food awards or celebrity posing with the owner, plastered proudly at any available space-- the more the merrier. However, this is not the case at Food Park at Hougang Central. The western food stall there is actually the star attraction and it is located at the corner of the coffee shop. On most nights a section of the coffee shop is smokey with sizzle and steam from the western food hot plates that the stall offers. So it is rather apt that the name of the Western food stall is 5 Star Corner, literal and straight to the point.

Both FMP and FBP heeded my recommendation and ordered the hot plate black pepper steak, it was by chance that our orders for doneness of the steak range from medium, medium well to well-done.
Here's a photo of the stall and the guy taking orders and the menu which is actually on the signboard.


You have to go to the stall to place your order with Herbal Essence Guy (he's the only one facing the camera, the toss of the head and flyway hair iconic of the Herbal Essence advertisement "yes yes!"). Normally there's a queue to place orders so I occupy my time by scrutinizing Herbal Essence Guy's lustrous locks and wonder how he keeps them so shiny.

Our orders arrived in no time at all, served by a Uniquely Singapore Beng.  5 Star proudly houses a few of these guys with blond-streaked hair and multiple piercings, but they are actually friendlier than they look.



Pardon the smokey-looking photo, it was partly due to actual smoke sizzling upwards, and mostly due to the fact I didn't have time to take 10 photos of the same steak then choose the best looking one and pretend I got it right at the first try.

This Black Pepper Sizzling Steak was accompanied by standard side servings of a baked potato, assortment of indiscernible veggies and gooey baked beans. Perhaps the best part aside from the meat is the generous dollop of black pepper sauce slathered on just about every part of the dish. FMP, FBP and I then tucked into our steaks with all gusto and from here it was sort of like the Goldilocks and Three Bears scenario. FMP found the sauce nice but very spicy, FBP thought that the sauce was shiok, while I think the sauce is a little spicy but good.



For those of you unsure of what doneness to order, it was fortunate I had three types of doneness to compare with, all three steaks were tender and not hard or dry for the well done, or too bloody for the medium one.



 I've always eaten steak medium because it is the best combination of juiciness and firmness. This steak here oozes juice but not blood (very important) because I have had steak that made me feel like I was half vampire. A nicely medium steak has a blushing pink interior. I'm quite amazed that for a coffee shop stall, 5 Star has always managed to get the doneness just right almost every time.
Having tried the different doneness, we unanimously agreed that mine was the best, of course. Not because I'm always right, but because the medium steak encapsulates both tender succulence and a robust flavour without being too dry or raw. I have often wondered at this subtle sweetness present in the steak that steaks from other restaurants do not have, but FMP said it was probably in the way they marinate the steak.



*Here's a bonus picture and the reason why I am the Kiasi photographer, I saw a little girl in her pram tugging at a pair of jeans as if she's trying to judge whether to buy it. Adorable photo op moment, however I was too timid to take a close shot of her and instead stood far enough to take this picture with so many other things inside so that people wouldn't know what exactly I'm supposed to be taking.
FBP bravely offered to stand closer to take the photo for me and I let her, she stood so close that she looked like a suspicious kidnapper, but managed to take a shot. However! The shop auntie saw her and shouted at us and demanded we delete the picture in case we were spies from other shops, so we did.
Moral of the story: beware the shop auntie near the 5 Star Western food stall.


I have this theory that anything that comes from the cow or chicken can be turned into comfort food. I give 5 Star, the full 5 Stars for a no-hassle, cheap and consistent comfort cow food. Not sure about the rest of the other meats at 5 Star, but I expect that it should be around the same standard. In comparison with the other steak restaurants I have visited, 5 Star offers the best value for money without a compromise on taste and quality. It might not beat Shashlik for quality but it has its own charms at the affordable price of $8.

How much was spent: $8 per pax
Would I come back again? Absolutely, any time I need a cheap, quick steak fix.

Address:
5 Star Corner Western Food
Blk 805 Hougang Central
Food Park S530805 (3-5mins walk from Hougang MRT depending on how fast you walk.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with
Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing
very good results. If you know of any please share.

Thank you!

Here is my homepage ... 1115