Sunday, November 14, 2010

Noodle Place Restaurant @ Centrepoint

On Wednesday Drumstick and I went in search of the authentic Hong Kong wanton noodles. (or rather, I dragged her along to hunt for it). Reviews by a certain food blog suggested that it may be at this place, so off we went.


When we reached I suddenly remembered that I had been into this restaurant before, a few years ago. Though I forgot what I had ordered then, my conclusion with my friends that time was that it's unlikely we would come back to this restaurant again because they offered similar fare to Crystal Jade and Imperial Treasure and the latter two were much better.

That food blog rated their char siew as 4/5 so we decided to give it a try too! I'm not much of a fan of char siew until I tried some really good ones at a roadside eatery, before then I used to order wanton mee without char siew at hawker centres, and until recently I also didn't like char siew bao until I got addicted to those by Crystal Jade and Imperial Treasure. So we ordered their char siew with honey sauce ($12+). I found it slightly too tough, could be more tender, though it was well marinated and I liked the taste of honey sweetness and the meat. It was too much for the two of us to finish though, so we had half of this take-away.


We also ordered their signature congee ($11) - There's a lot of ingredients inside; when I asked the waitress what this consisted, she rattled a whole list of ingredients and I interrupted her, "oh okokok we'll have this then". Haha! This had chicken pieces, fish maw, meat ball, egg, prawn, jelly fish, cuttlefish and some other stuff inside. Delicious, I must say. It's a nice surprise to find out what you can find inside.

 

Then comes the wanton noodles (dry; $8)! I had forgotten how the Crystal Jade ones tasted like, so I had no basis for comparison. However, I must say that this was slightly disappointing. The wantons were just too small. I remember having a bowl of wanton mee in Hong Kong, just $2, but the wantons were just made of fresh succulent prawns, so tasty for just SGD2.00!



I don't think I would come back here often, but if you're ever in the area and craving for Chinese food but Crystal Jade and Imperial Treasure (or maybe Paradise Dynasty?) are too far, this may be the place to satisfy your craving. 

How much was spent: $20 per pax
Would I come back again? : Maybe.
Rating: 3/5

Address: 176 Orchard Road
Centrepoint #01-53/56
Singapore 238843
Tel: 67333171

No comments: