Saturday, October 01, 2011

Shimbashi Soba @ Nex

After choir a few Sundays ago, I met the Sister at Nex for dinner and some shopping. I know there are a lot of restaurants in Nex but nothing that I was really craving for and dying to try. Found our way to the Japanese enclave and the Sister felt like having some soba so we settled for Shimbashi Soba. 

Shimbashi Soba is the only place I order soba to eat because I don't really trust the soba elsewhere and believe that Shimbashi Soba should offer the best soba. I am assured that the soba here is handmade, and al dente. The soba I eat elsewhere always taste mediocre, plastic-ky and not up to standards. However, this restaurant is slightly on the pricey side so I don't dine here often. 

Chawanmushi almost always a must - This was as appetizing as it looked. Plain, and uninspiring. No prawns, no garnishing, no nothing. Only 2 pathetic mushroom pieces on top.


Salmon sashimi was fairly decent. 

 Grilled unagi - 4 pieces for $8.90 Done pretty well. 

And my main course - soba. The sauce was too salty though. I prefer the sauce that comes with the noodles if you order the set.

The Sister ordered one of the sets. They used to have a set that includes salmon sashimi, grilled unagi and agedashi tofu, all our favourites - but I don't know if that's taken off the menu, or the branch here doesn't have that set. This set was pretty good as well - house special beef, grilled salmon (more like aburi (lightly seared) salmon), and deep fried soba with tuna/potato salad. The deep fried soba tasted like chips and rather addictive. Although the waitress said the soba I ordered and the soba in the set are the same, the sauce wasn't. The noodles in the set meal also includes seaweed, tempura chips and japanese fish cakes.


Dessert that came with the set - matcha tiramisu. 



 How much spent per pax: $35
Would I come back again? Maybe.

#B1-02 nex
23 Serangoon Central
Tel: 6634 4786
Daily: 11:00am -10:00pm

No comments: