Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tian Wai Tian Fish Head Steamboat 天外天鱼头炉 @ Ang Mo Kio

Imagine my elation when I found out that the newer branch of TWT is just a 3-bus stops ride away from my humble abode in AMK! The besties and I used to go to the rustic (and cramped) branch at Boon Keng once in a while to enjoy this simple yet comforting fish steamboat.

Since it's so near, we went there recently to celebrate the parents' birthdays (somehow, their birthdays on the Lunar calendar fall on the same day but different days on the Western calendar), as they don't really fancy traveling too far from home.

We didn't make a booking but we went early around 6pm on a Sunday. It was relatively uncrowded and no queues for seats or to order. It's located at a coffee shop within a HDB estate (i.e. not facing main avenue road).



I always enjoy this Teochew fish head steamboat and I'm glad my parents do too (my dad is Teochew)! There's yam, lettuce, cabbage, sour plum and seaweed in the tasty soup broth, with generous servings of fish (selection of  red grouper or pomfret). My dad claimed pomfret would taste weird in soup so we went for red grouper instead. 

For side dishes, we ordered (clockwise from left to right in photo above): hae zor, Singaporean bee hoon (星洲米粉), oyster omelette, and salted egg yolk pork ribs. Besides the hae zor, the rest lived up to expectations and matched the standards of the Boon Keng branch. In particular, the egg crispies were very nicely done and the oysters were big and fresh. 

How much spent per pax: Below $25 per pax 
Would I go back again? Definitely! 


                                                      Blk 226B Ang Mo Kio Ave 1 St 22
                                                           #01-645 Kebun Baru Mall 
Tel: 64513411
Open daily: 5pm to 11pm

No comments: