Monday, October 24, 2011

126 Eating House (Wan Dou Sek 搵到食) @ Sims Ave, Geylang

Being a food lover, I found it appalling that I only knew of this place recently, after Ah Chow and BF brought me here one fine night for supper. Even before we finished the meal, I told myself I must go there again soon! Cheap and good and a delighting variety. So when Miss Doc and Drumstick were planning a trip here, I begged pleaded requested to tag along. 

Located at the red-light district of Singapore, this no-frills eatery ("hole in the wall") is easy to pass by at 7pm on a Monday night. On weekends or later in the night when crowds pick up, the chairs and tables will appear outside the shop and you will recognize the place by the throngs of customers.

"搵到食" (Wan Dou Sek) is Cantonese which can be loosely translated into "found something to eat!". Ok I added the exclamation mark myself. "126" is a clever pun on the Cantonese name which I thought very witty. 

Old-school Hong Kong-style eatery:

 
Service is practically non-existent and I felt like an invisible being there. But I'm not complaining, because the food tickles my taste buds and the prices will not break the bank. 

Sorry, the camera was slower than the hungry birds: Deep Fried Carrot Cake 


 Chee Cheong Fun: With a very special sauce that I never tasted else where... Topped with fragrant shallots and spring onions



 No names and prices for all these I'm afraid - I was pretty much caught up with eating.


 The Siew Mai and Har Gao were not fantastic but the quality suffices and the other items make up for it.



The hugest variety of Eastern tapas you can find there - they even have crabs and noodles! Too many things to try and I shall return soon one day.



How much was spent per pax: $13 per pax
Would I go back again? Definitely!

126 Sims Ave
Singapore 387449
(between Geylang Lor 15 and 17)

No comments: