Friday, October 15, 2010

Tenza Izakaya @ Sunset Way

Once in a while I would go to Sunset Way for dinner after church, and we'll pass by this Japanese restaurant along the way to another Japanese restaurant called Megumi. Megumi is recommended more often by other food blogs but not this, I've rarely seen this featured somewhere else. Pineapple saw this on 8 Days and asked if I wanted to try this out, and I said yes! I never say no to Japanese restaurants yeah. This is a fairly new restaurant which started its operations in May/June this year.


According to Wikipedia, an Izakaya (居酒屋) is a Japanese drinking establishment which also serves food to accompany the drinks. In Japan, these are popular places for casual and after-work drinking or chilling out. This Izakaya has an extensive range of sake but it is my loss as I do not really drink.


The complimentary appetizer came soon after we placed our orders. This is cabbage with miso sauce given, which we are to squeeze the lemon into the sauce. Interesting taste, but not addictive.




Mekajiki - Swordfish Sashimi $15. I read on a blog that really recommended their swordfish so we decided to give it a try. It was fresh, yes, within expectations given the slightly higher price than other restaurants like Watami or Sakuraya, but nothing out of the world. Other said restaurants can offer the same quality at a lower price, I reckon.


Grilled Beef Tongue 牛タン $8 - This was special enough. Pineapple ordered this as she said she has always wanted to try this. It was tender, tasty and chewy. Texture is good. Pop it into your mouth piece after piece, nompnompnomp...



They also have a wide variety of yakitori 焼き鳥 (litereally means grilled chicken on skewers but has come to collectively include other foodstuffs) items. Middle: Foie gras $10; Right: Beef with asparagus $3.60



Unagi $7.80 (I think). Nice, though I think there was a sauce overload.


Mentaiko Chazuke - Rice in Tea-Broth with Spicy Cod Roe. I wanted to order cold soba or udon, but thought I should try something new, so we ordered this. I would just say it's worth a try, but it's unremarkable.



After all those I thought I wasn't really satisfied, so I decided to order chicken wings. Bad choice.

Grilled chicken wings $2.50 Pineapple says only the skin is coated with miso, which explains why only the skin is salty but not the meat inside. And I thought they didn't marinate it nicely.


As you can see it was badly charred. Hawker centre chicken wings over this anytime.


For desserts I decided on our behalf to have their home-made goma (black sesame) ice cream. But it was out of stock! So we asked for yuzu instead. Out of stock! So in the end we had matcha (green tea) flavour. It came half-melted. I liked this version though, it was slightly milkier than the usual ones you eat at places like Azabu Sabo or MOF, which are slightly more bitter and tea-like.


This is a nice place to chill out though. I like restaurants at Sunset Way, this one had al fresco dining and we chose to sit outside. Service staff also had pleasant attitudes.



How much was spent: $27 for myself 
Would I go back? Not sure, probably not.

Address: Blk 106 Clementi St. 12 Sunset Way #01-38D
Tel: +65 6773 0093

No comments: