Friday, December 10, 2010

Oriole Cafe & Bar

 Had wanted to try this place ever since I saw on LadyIronChef that they had the "best fish and chips" in Singapore. Came here on Saturday night, and ordered the said dish, and satisfied my craving for pasta by ordering the garlic prawn pasta ($16).

Pardon the diluted colours of the photos, light conditions were bad at night, and the photo quality becomes pixelated under low light conditions. Anyway, the pasta was far too hard for my liking. This was slightly spicy, which was good. But the texture of the pasta really made it hard to chew and swallow. If you want garlic prawn pasta, the best bet would still be the one from Coffee Club. 



The fish 'n chips ($13; i think?) was mediocre. I don't know what LIC saw in this, no offence. At best this was not the slightest bit fishy, the meat was firm, amount of flour not too much. But I found it so-so; similar quality could be found somewhere else.


The live band started playing at 10pm, and it's good if you have nothing to say to your dinner partner and just enjoy the food and music. But if you're there for a catch up session, be prepared to shout across the table to make yourself heard - the volume of the music does not make for meaningful conversations to be carried out, unless you choose to sit outdoors.

Tried their chocolate mud cake the last time I was here, expecting it to be a lava cake. I could only  blame it on my false expectations, because it was not a lava cake, but a normal chocolate cake. It was a bit dry on the inside, though the chocolate was good.

Nevertheless, reading about reviews that raved about this place, I would still probably come back to try again, their brunch and coffee seem like a good choice to start with.

How much was spent: Around $20? I really can't remember :X
Would I go back again? Yes, but I probably won't order the above items again.

96 Somerset Road #01-01 Pan Pacific Serviced Suites
Tel: +65 6238 8348

No comments: